Home > Mountain View Walking Tours
Mountain View, California
Historic Homes Walking Tour

Fri 06/26/2009

The entire walking tour, round trip, is three miles and should take an hour or more, depending on how much you stop and look.
Click here for a Google map of the entire tour (which uses slightly different and less scenic routing).
Start the tour at ...


  1. 1074 Mercy Street map it near Mercy and Oak
    Built: c. 1905
    Style: Farmhouse
    Features:
    • large front gable
    • triple windows
    • ornamental posts
    • bull's eye window
    • simple
    • substantial
    • pleasing
    Originally owned by: N.H. McCorkle, who also owned and sold adjoining homes.
    Next: Walk east on Mercy, turn left on Franklin to reach ...

  2. 394 Franklin map it corner of Franklin and California
    Built: c. 1890
    Style: Early Clapboard Cottage
    Features:
    • typical of its era
    • plain
    • small porch
    Originally owned by: James and Margaret Burke Campbell and their ten (!) children. He was a farmer, driver and road master. Remained in the family until the 1950s.
    Next: Walk north on Franklin to Dana. Turn left. Turn right on Oak to reach ...

  3. 1114 Villa Street map it corner of Villa and Oak
    Built: c. 1897
    Style: Queen Anne
    Features:
    • largest and most elaborate of its time
    • two story corner bay window with turret and surmounting finial
    • balcony
    Originally owned by: Judge Benjamin E. Burns and wife Kate Henley Burns, owners of the first town library in the Olympic Hall building. He was the second mayor (1904-6) and then again 1909-10. Property converted to apartments in the 1920s with addition of external stairways and stucco.
    Next: Continue north on Oak to reach ...

  4. 166 Oak Street map it near the end of Oak
    Built: c. 1900
    Style: Farmhouse
    Features:
    • large
    • two story
    • steeply-pitched, narrow gable roof
    • typical long front porch
    • simply framed and symmetrically placed windows and doors
    • dormer window
    • scalloped shingles
    Originally owned by: unknown, but later duplexed
    Next: Turn around and head back to Villa and turn left (south) to reach ...

  5. 1025 and 1043 Villa Street map it Villa between Oak and bryant
    Built: c. 1904
    Style: Queen Anne
    Features:
    • twin houses
    • typical assymmetries
    • typical decorative detail
    • steeply gabled roof
    • lower pitch of the porch hipped roof and bay windows
    • scalloped shingling upstairs, but wooden siding downstairs
    • tall windows and doors add a feeling of height
    Originally owned by: Mahlon K. Taylor, a Mountain View builder, who built one for his family and sold the other.
    Next: Walk east on Villa to reach ...


  6. 938 Villa Street map it between Castro and Bryant
    Built: c. 1894 Style: elaborate early Mountain View
    Features:
    • Palladian window
    • ample porch
    • open balustrade
    • sawtooth shingles one one of the gables
    Originally owned by: newlyweds Julius and Fannie Ickelheimer Weilheimer; he was a merchant, bank officer and member of the first Town Board of Trustees. His father and brother owned a general store on El Camino and another downtown (which still stands at 124-8 Castro). They moved to San Francisco in 1907 whereupon Arthur Free, city attorney and later Congressman had the house until 1914.
    Next: Continue east on Villa to reach ...

  7. 902 Villa Street map it corner of Villa and Bryant
    Built: before 1887; veranda added 1911
    Style: Greek Revival; Clapboard
    Features:
    • attractively detailed woodwork
    • large, L-shaped veranda
    Unfortunately this house was allowed to reach such a delapidated condition that in 2013 it was destroyed. At the time it was believed to be the fourth oldest in the city. It was built by Doctor Bowling Bailey, a state Assemblyman, farmer and school trustee, who created houses in the area 1859-1888. The first known owners were Mathurin and Georgette LeDeit, from 1888 to 1892, Mathurin was a French-born butcher who likely commuted to his job in San Jose on the train line a block away.

    Charles Pearson, a rancher who operated a grocery in the building he built at 220-230 Castro, owned the house from 1892 to 1946. He also ran the Old Haverty Corner Saloon at Castro and Villa.

    In 1947, Pacific Telephone used the home as an office. Its last known use was as a used-toy store called "Forgotten Treasures."

    Also formerly on the site was the "Immigrant House," a tiny home not much larger than a dog house. It is one of the last examples of the tiny homes orchard workers and immigrants lived in at the turn of the century. As of June 11, 2013, the permanent location of this house has yet to be determined.

    Next: Walk three blocks east on Villa to Bush ...

  8. 206 Bush and 515 Villa Street map it corner of Bush and Villa
    Built: c. 1890
    Style: Folk Victorian and Transitional Pyramid (Four Square)
    Features of 206 Bush:
    • hipped roof
    • turned porch posts
    • scalloped shings in the gable
    Originally owned by: James Showers. Both houses were on the same property. 515 Villa may have been a tank house. These specialized structures were once common in Mountain View, but few remain. They held water tanks at the top which created pressure for plumbing. The bottom floor was used either for storage or as a residence.
    Next: Walk south on Bush one block to Dana. Turn right and walk one block to reach ...

  9. 322 View Street map it View south of Dana
    Built: 1910
    Style: American Craftsman Bungalow with some more formal elements
    Features:
    • long front porch
    • large front dormer
    • deep eaves
    • exposed rafters
    Originally owned by: J. Luther and Ada Swall McPheeters. He was a member of the city council and foreman at Minton Lumber.
    Next: Walk south on Villa and look across the street to reach ...

  10. 327 View Street map it View south of Dana
    Built: 1925
    Style: American Craftsman Bungalow
    Features:
    • small, neat
    • wooden siding
    • attractive front entrance with French doors
    • open porch
    Originally owned by: electrician Waldo Horatio "Ray" Cadwell, who built it, and family.
    Next: Walk south on Villa and look across the street to reach ...

  11. 344 View Street map it near Franklin and California

    Style: American Craftsman Bungalow Built: c. 1908 (renovated 1925)
    Features:
    • unusual dormer
    • exposed supports
    • deep, flared eaves
    • hipped roof
    • multi-paned windows
    • slightly Asian in flavor
    • designed by Wolf and McKenzie of San Jose
    Originally owned by: George Swall, an original trustee for the city, also a butcher, later a banker. Designed by Wolf and McKenzie of San José.
    Next: Continue south on View to Mercy, turn right (west) and continue to Hope. Then turn right (north) again to reach ...

  12. 459 View Street map it on View between Mercy and California
    Built: 1906
    Style: American Craftsman Bungalow
    Features:
    • low gables
    • exposed rafters
    • tapering porch posts
    • clapboard exterior
    • simple, rectangular lines
    Originally owned by: Raymond W. True, whose father, brother and sons also built homes in the area.
    Next: Continue south on View to Mercy, turn right (west) and continue to Hope. Then turn right (north) again Turn right on x to reach ...

  13. 425 Hope Street map it on Hope between Mercy and California
    Built: c. 1906
    Style: Transitional Pyramid (Four Square)
    Features:
    • window panes in different shapes
    • long, narrow multi-pained windows
    Originally owned by: Giles Ruch family and later Arthur L. Palmer, the city's treasurer and librarian
    Next: Continue north to reach ...

  14. 696 California Street map it near Franklin and California
    Built: c. 1890
    Style: Transitional Pyramid (Four Square) with Queen Anne decorations
    Features:
    • Queen Anne trim
    • decorative shingling
    • latticed windows
    • flared eaves
    • Palladian vents on the dormers
    • includes a small barn
    Originally owned by: Richard W. and Emaline Atwood McDonald; he was a partner in McDonald and Burke, Blacksmiths on Castro St. from 1895 to the 1940s. Property includes a small barn.
    Next: Walk east on California two blocks to Bush, then turn north (left) and walk one block to reach ...

  15. 484 Loreto Street map it corner of Bush and Loreto
    Built: c. 1924
    Style: Spanish Colonial Revival
    Features:
    • first home of the Palmita Park development, developed by Minton Lumber and Bert Holeman. Homes on this street and Velarde one block over (the Palmita Park subdivision) were all custom built to suit the owners over the next two decades. (Loreto and Velarde are two of the most beautiful streets around; 'tis a pity modern developments don't look anywhere near this good.)
    • small
    • stucco walls
    • low roof
    Originally owned by: Alfred and Emily Olson
    Next: Walk east on Loreto two blocks to Calderon and turn right to reach ...

  16. 445 Calderon map it Calderon between Loreto and Velarde
    Built: c. 1885 (oldest on the tour and one of the oldest in the city)
    Style: Italianate
    Features:
    • set far back from the street
    • restrained decoration and detail
    • simple curved brackets to support the eaves match similar curves at the top of the porch posts
    • tall, narrow windows
    • stick work decorates front and side porches
    Originally owned by: Charles Abbott, carpenter-builder and contractor
    Next: Walk six blocks south on Calderon to reach ...

  17. 725 Calderon map it near Calderon and Church
    Built: c. 1904
    Style: American Craftsman Bungalow
    Features:
    • large
    • single gable roofline
    • seven knee braces support the eaves
    • triple window
    • semi-enclosed front porch
    Originally owned by: Edwin L. and Lillie Zahn; he was principal of Mountain View Union high school. Owned since 1931 by William and Nelli Garleipp, their four children and descendants.
    Next: Walk west two blocks on Church to Bush and turn right (north) and walk half a block to reach ...

  18. 560 Bush Street map it Bush between Church and Mercy
    Built: c. 1928 (newest on the tour)
    Features:
    • stucco
    • half-timbered detail
    • glorious, steeply-pitched roof
    Originally owned by: Allan B. and Leila Jones Cutter who lived in it until 1983. Designed by Harry A. Knight and built by Neil Darrah.
    Next: Walk further north on Bush to reach ...

  19. 537 Bush Street map it Bush between Church and Mercy
    Built: 1911-12
    Style: several, including Colonial Revival
    Features:
    • spacious
    • scalloped shingles
    • steeply-pitched gables
    • many window shapes and sizes
    • extravagant bay window
    • latticed panes
    Originally owned by: John R. Ward, built by Minton
    Next: Walk further north on Bush to reach ...

  20. 469 Bush Street map it Bush between California and Mercy
    Built: 1906
    Style: Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival
    Features:
    • low pitch, red tile roof
    • fan-crowned windows, framed by gable
    Originally owned by: August and Catherine Armanini; he was a San Francisco merchant and director of the Mountain View branch of the Bank of Italy (later Band of America).
    Next: Walk further north on Bush to reach ...

  21. 445 Bush Street map it Bush between California and Mercy
    Built: 1906
    Style: Regency (only one on the tour)
    Features:
    • small
    • ornate
    • flat roof
    • parapet
    • closed balustrade
    • symmetrical wings
    • courtyard entrance
    • pergola
    • originally at 410 View Street, but moved in 1934
    Originally owned by: Haven A. Mason, city attorney; later home and office for D.P. Cameron, dentist

This is the end of the tour. Hope you enjoyed it!

To finish off you might like to take a right turn and stroll down lovely Velarde Street.

Or, to get back to the start of the tour, go south one block (along Bush) to Mercy, turn right and continue (west) for six blocks.


If you enjoyed this tour, you may also like to try Mountain View, California Historic Homes Walking Tour 2 and Historic Homes Walking Tour 3.
All photos by ET. Thanks so much, ET!
spotlightongames.com